Sunday, June 26, 2011

Beauty surrounds you, The world astounds you

How badly does the human heart want things to be the way they're "supposed to"? Expectations chain us to desire for things we may have no power to control, and may never achieve.

We can't be lovers, but I invested in you, so we'll be caring friends instead.
But I don't really care about you, and I don't need or want your friendship.

Because this is what I've wanted and worked for, I will achieve it and it will make me happy.
But I may never achieve this. Or, I am happy without it. Or, both.

Everything will work out in the end.
But a life with sadness, tragedy or an unhappy ending isn't a cosmic error or cruel joke, it's just a life. As is one with great satisfaction, wonder and joy. And usually, we get to experience both.

Perhaps it isn't plausible to be free from desire, particularly desire to make sense of our struggles by predicting for ourselves comforting (/comforting ourselves with predictable) resolutions to such.

But what a noble cardiac exercise to pursue freedom from expectation,
freedom from a need for the formula to balance out for us to feel the hand we've been dealt is fair,
freedom to be honest with ourselves and each other,
freedom to accept the unpredictable highs and lows of living without feeling entitled or cheated...

Don't you think?